Our #KJFriend Brian Emmett (@BrianEmmettBake) sent us this Heirloom Tomato Tart recipe, a perfect summertime dish. Pair with chilled K-J AVANT Chardonnay.
HEIRLOOM TOMATO TART
Created by Brian Emmett
- ¾ cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of whole wheat flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 cups of Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 stick of chilled butter cut into pieces
Put all ingredients in food processor and pulse unto mixture is blended until coarse then slowly add cold water until dough comes together to form a ball. Press dough into a 9-inch tart pan and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Blind bake the crust by pricking wholes in bottom and up sides then line with parchment paper and pie weights. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F and then remove weight and parchment paper and bake about 10 minutes longer until golden. Take out of oven and cool completely.
- 1 cup of shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 5 large heirloom tomatoes (using different colors)
- 1 tablespoon each of chopped fresh thyme, basil and oregano
- 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of chopped chive
- Extra virgin olive oil
Layer the cheese on the bottom of tart then layer tomatoes. Sprinkle fresh herb and Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil, then bake for about 20 minutes at 350F. Remove from oven and sprinkle on fresh chives.