This #FarmerFriday, we asked Tucker: What are 5 things people can do in their home gardens to ensure a successful harvest?
- Focus on the soil rather than the plant. Building healthy soils will ensure healthy plants. Add compost, minerals and fertilizers each time you turn a soil bed. Rather than starting from seed, purchase organic quick starts that can be transplanted.
- Plant radishes, turnips and lettuce; they are easy cultivate and quick to harvest.
- Keep carrots moist during germination. Place wet newspaper on top of the soil to lock in the moisture.
- Plant cover crops such as legumes to fix nitrogen into the soil, and till grains back into the soil.
- Invest in a wire weeder, the one tool I can’t live without. It’s perfect for getting in between plants to root out weeds without inflicting damage on your crops.